Fundamental Rights in Europe
Fundamental Rights in Europe
Anno accademico 2022/2023
- Codice attività didattica
- Dr. Giovanni Boggero (Titolare del corso)
- Corso di studio
- Laurea magistrale in European Legal Studies - a Torino (D.M. 270/2004)[0703M21]
- 1° anno
- Secondo semestre
- SSD attività didattica
- IUS/08 - diritto costituzionale
- Tipologia esame
- Scritto e/o orale
- Tipologia unità didattica
- Constitutional Law, Public International Law, EU Law, Legal English
Fundamental rights are a key topic of the europeanization and globalization of the institutions of public law at every layer of government. The protection of fundamental rights requires a specific legal knowledge and a proper methodology. Theories and practices of fundamental rights need to be analysed from different viewpoints so as to enable students:
- to discuss and implement the various legal philosophies, general theories of law, legal and political cultures feeding the controversies on subjective fundamental rights in an open society, not only in Europe, but beyond
- to apply a systematic interpretation of the various legal orders and sources of law regarding fundamental rights,
- to apply all tools offered by jurisdictional, administrative and political guarantees, including human rights watching, within the various legal orders operating in Europe
- to analyse and provide solutions for all kinds of old and new, decided, pending or future fundamental rights' problems.
Risultati dell'apprendimento attesi
By the end of the course students should have an overall awareness of the multilevel protection of human rights in Europe and should be able to envisage solutions for specific classical and new fundamental rights' cases.
The first part of the course deals with theoretical and general issues, the second part focuses on practical aspects and case studies.
Modalità di insegnamento
The course consists of lectures on a specific topic and will be held in presence twice a week. Classes will be live-streamed at https://unito.webex.com/meet/giovanni.boggero In parallel, materials will be available on the Moodle/CampusNet platform every week. Modes of course delivery may change, depending on the public health situation. Any change will be promptly communicated on the Moodle/CampusNet platform.
Modalità di verifica dell'apprendimento
A written exam will be carried out in English and will focus on the theoretical and practical questions examined during classes or on a specific case from list handed over during the course. Attending students can discuss their own case or a new book on specific topics of FR during classes and present a paper on the case (or on a book) for the examination.
Testi consigliati e bibliografia
+ FOR ATTENDING STUDENTS Papers, slides and materials uploaded until the class end.
+ FOR NON-ATTENDING STUDENTS ONLY
1) Papers and materials uploaded online concerning the history and theory of fundamental rights, generations of rights, balancing and proportionality.
2) A. Facchi, S. Falcetta, N. Riva (eds.) An Introduction to Fundamental Rights in Europe: History, Theory, Cases, Edward Elgar Publishing, 2022, 1-91.
Insegnamenti che mutuano questo insegnamento