Fundamental Rights in Europe
Fundamental Rights in Europe
Anno accademico 2020/2021
- Codice attività didattica
- Dr. Giovanni Boggero (Titolare del corso)
- Corso di studio
- Laurea magistrale in European Legal Studies - a Torino (D.M. 270/2004)[0703M21]
- 1° anno, 2° anno
- Primo semestre
- SSD attività didattica
- IUS/08 - diritto costituzionale
IUS/09 - istituzioni di diritto pubblico
- Tipologia esame
- Scritto e/o orale
- Constitutional Law, Public International Law, EU Law, Legal English
Sommario del corso
Fundamental Rights are a key topic of the Europeanization and globalization of the institutions of public law at every layer of government. The protection of fundamental rights requires specific legal knowledge and a proper methodology. Theories and practices of fundamental rights need to be analysed from different viewpoints so as to enable students
- to discuss and implement the various legal philosophies, general theories of law, legal and political cultures feeding the controversies on subjective fundamental rights in an open society, not only in Europe, but beyond
- to apply a systematic interpretation of the various legal orders and sources of law regarding fundamental rights,
- to apply all tools offered by jurisdictional, administrative and political guarantees, including human rights watching, within the various legal orders operating in Europe
- to analyse and provide solutions for all kinds of old and new, decided, pending or future fundamental rights' problems.
Risultati dell'apprendimento attesi
By the end of the course students should have an overall awareness of the multilevel protection of human rights in Europe and should be able to envisage solutions for specific classical and new fundamental rights' cases.
The first part of the course deals with theoretical and general issues, the last part will focus on practical aspects and case studies.
1. The concept and history of FR
2. FR under EU Law
3. FR under Council of Europe Law
4. The Interplay between Constitutional and European FR's law sources.
Selected cases of ECHR, ECJ, other institutions of EU or CoE and national constitutional courts.
Modalità di insegnamento
The course consists partly of classes and partly of online course-related materials. Lectures on a specific topic will be held once every two weeks and will be live-streamed. In parallel, presentations will be available on moodle after every class twice a week. Modes of course delivery may change, depending on the public health situation. Any change will be promptly communicated on moodle.
Modalità di verifica dell'apprendimento
Written exam has to be carried out in English and will focus on the theoretical and practical questions examined during the classes related to a specific case from list handed over during the course. Attending students can discuss their own case or a new book on specific topics of FR during classes and present a paper on the case (or on a book) for the examination.
Testi consigliati e bibliografia
+ Papers, Slides and Materials which will be uploaded until the class end.
Corsi che mutuano questo insegnamento
- Apertura registrazione
- 09/07/2020 alle ore 00:00
- Chiusura registrazione
- 31/07/2021 alle ore 00:00