International Economic Law II
International Economic Law II
Anno accademico 2022/2023
- Codice attività didattica
- GIU0872B - GIU0874
- Prof.ssa Lorenza Mola (Titolare del corso)
Prof.ssa Elisa Ruozzi (Titolare del corso)
- Corso di studio
- Laurea magistrale in European Legal Studies - a Torino (D.M. 270/2004)[0703M21]
- 1° anno, 2° anno
- Da definire
- Caratterizzante, A scelta dello studente
- SSD attività didattica
- IUS/13 - diritto internazionale
- Tipologia esame
- Tipologia unità didattica
- Insegnamento integrato
- Advanced International Economic Law (GIU0872)
- There are no prerequisites for this course. However, its topics rely on knowledge and undestanding of the main issues of International Law.
- Propedeutico a
Recent developments in the international community are challenging the multilateral trade system and the international investment system - two areas of international economic law - as they have operated during the last decades. The aim of the course is to provide students with an overview of the institutional and substantive aspects characterizing the two areas, and with conceptual tools necessary in order to critically analyze them in light of new challenges and issues.
Risultati dell'apprendimento attesi
Students are expected to possess adequate knowledge of the topics covered during the course and to convey them in a precise and effective way. They are also expected to understand the main challenges to the two systems which are covered by the course, through critical discussion.
The programme will be divided in two modules.
The first module will concern international investment law, covering the following topics:
- evolution of the international system of investment protection;- sources of investment law; - subjects and beneficiaries of international investment law; - standards of investment treatment (non-discrimination, expropriation, full protection and security, fair and equitable treatment, minimum standard of treatment); - exceptions, carve-outs and counter-claims against investors; - means of solving controversies.
international trade law and will deal with:
- the institutional aspects of the WTO, including the dispute settlement system and main actors; - non discrimination; - the discipline of tariff measures ; - the discipline of non-tariff measures; - non-trade issues; regional trade agreements
The second module will concern international trade law and will deal with:
- the institutional aspects of the WTO, including the dispute settlement system and main actors; - non discrimination; - the discipline of tariff measures ; - the discipline of non-tariff measures; - non-trade issues; regional trade agreements.
Modalità di insegnamento
The different teaching blocks will be organised through a blend of different components: live sessions, reading and study materials, including video lectures and presentations with vocal comment, live sessions.
All the materials will be made available through the teaching platform (Moodle)
It is essential and compulsory that all the students enrol in the teaching platform to have full access both to materials, discussions and communications.
Modalità di verifica dell'apprendimento
For attending students, 20% of the grade will be based on class participation.
Oral exam consisting of four open-ended questions (2 for each block). Answers will be graded on the basis of completeness and accuracy of information, as well as of the capacity to use specific legal terminology.
Attività di supporto
Testi consigliati e bibliografia
- International economic law
- Anno pubblicazione:
- Sweet and Maxwell
- Qureshi, Ziegler
- Note testo:
- Testo per non frequentanti.
For attending students: only materials uploaded on the Moodle platform and class notes.
GIU0872B Course unit of GIU0872 ADVANCED INTERNATIONAL ECONOMIC LAW (TAF B) - II year
GIU0874 Free choice course INTERNATIONAL ECONOMIC LAW II (TAF D) - "Free from year" course
If the Combined Course GIU0872 is listed in your Study plan, its single course units can not be selected as "Free choice" courses (TAF D) and vice versa.