Anno accademico 2022/2023
- Codice attività didattica
- Prof. Francesco Abbate (Titolare del corso)
- Corso di studio
- Laurea magistrale in European Legal Studies - a Torino (D.M. 270/2004)[0703M21]
- 1° anno
- Secondo semestre
- SSD attività didattica
- SECS-P/01 - economia politica
- Tipologia esame
The objective of the course is to provide the conceptual and analytical tools as well as the capacity to understand the causes, mechanisms and consequences of economic globalization, and, in particular, the determinants of international trade, the objectives and instruments of trade policy at the bilateral, regional and multilateral levels, the role of multinational enterprises and foreign direct investment, the international monetary and financial architecture, the genesis and effects of the global financial crisis, the socio-economic impact of COVID-19 pandemic and finally the achievements and the difficulties of the European Monetary Union.
Risultati dell'apprendimento attesi
The student should gain good knowledge of the topics covered during the course and be able to use the tools acquired.
- The process of economic globalization: causes, mechanisms and consequences
- Absolute and comparative advantage in international trade
- International trade and resource endowment
- Intra-sectoral trade and global value chains
- Objectives and instruments of trade policy: causes and effects of protectionism
- Multilateral and regional trade agreements: the World Trade Organization
- Multinational enterprises and foreign direct investment
- Balance of payments, global capital flows and exchange rate determination
- The international monetary system and the role of the International Monetary Fund
- Genesis and effects of the 2008 global financial crisis.
- The socio-economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic
- Optimal currency areas, the euro and the problems of the European Monetary Union.
Modalità di insegnamento
The course will be delivered face-to-face and live-streamed (https://unito.webex.com/meet/francesco.abbate) but not recorded. In addition, powerpoint slides, audio and video presentations, and other resources will be available on Moodle.
Attending students will be warmly invited to write a short paper on a topic agreed with the teacher. The papers will then be discussed during lectures.
Modalità di verifica dell'apprendimento
The final exam will be oral. A mid-term test and an early exam session will also be scheduled.
Attending students can gain points by:
- writing an individual or group term paper
- partecipating in seminars/webinars and workshops outside course hours
Attività di supporto
All teaching materials will be available on Moodle.
Students will be able to participate - in person or online - in seminars and workshops on the subjects covered by the course.
Testi consigliati e bibliografia
The course syllabus and suggested readings are the same for attending and non-attending students.
1. Kenneth A. Reinert, An Introduction to International Economics, Cambridge University Press, 2020
2. Slides and other teaching materials (available on Moodle).